Monday, June 26, 2017

Anne Tyler, The Amateur Marriage

I picked this book off my shelf a couple of weeks ago to read. The receipt was still in there: I got 25 percent off (it was $5.99) at Target.

It's a perfectly fine book, comforting and humorous. And a rather quick read.

I need to have a novel in progress while I'm reading my big non-fiction and history tomes. It helps if it's a short novel as well, so I can rip through it and feel a sense of accomplishment.

So, with Anne Tyler, it got me to thinking: Should I read more of her books? I bought this one on a whim, as it was. I was about to move into my town-home in Tustin and I was worried about disposable income after the mortgage payments would be due. I stocked up on all kinds of books. I go through jags and obsessive spurts like that.

I was about to give this one to the local library, since I have so many books on my shelves left unread after years and years of just sitting there, but I decided to give it a go, just to feel like I read some "pulp fiction."

In any case, it's worth a look.

At Amazon, Anne Tyler, The Amateur Marriage: A Novel.

0 comments: