Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Elvis Costello Stabs Israeli Fans in the Back

The New York Times reports, "Elvis Costello Cancels Concerts in Israel."

And at Blazing Cat Fur, "
Elvis has left.... my record collection."
Elvis Costello boycotts his own concert in Israel. What's so funny bout' peace love and jihad?
And notice the "peace and understanding" flourish to Costello's statement:
It has been necessary to dial out the falsehoods of propaganda, the double game and hysterical language of politics, the vanity and self-righteousness of public communiqués from cranks in order to eventually sift through my own conflicted thoughts.

I have come to the following conclusions.

One must at least consider any rational argument that comes before the appeal of more desperate means.

Sometimes a silence in music is better than adding to the static and so an end to it.

I cannot imagine receiving another invitation to perform in Israel, which is a matter of regret but I can imagine a better time when I would not be writing this.

With the hope for peace and understanding
Down with jihad. Damn. Good music too, but I guess moral cowardice is the true meaning of "peace, love, and understanding."

0 comments: