Thursday, May 28, 2009

L.A. Community Colleges Cut Summer Sessions

My college is not part of the Los Angeles Community College system. But the budget crisis is statewide, so my union's keeping close tabs on what's happening at other districts.

I'm getty a flurry of e-mails this week between faculty and the union. Also, the college president has warned, "Not since the passage of Proposition 13 have we seen such challenges to our community college system."

Anyway, the Los Angeles Times has this report, "
L.A. Colleges Cancel Summer Sessions:"





Video Hat Tip: KABC-TV Los Angeles, "L.A. Colleges Cancel July Summer Session."

3 comments:

rbosque said...

I heard that at least 20 have to register for class or it gets dropped. Not sure if it's true.

AmPowerBlog said...

That's true at our school, Raul! No underenrollments are going to be allowed.

Shawna said...

Ha, I used to go to LBCC. Be sure and expect a tsunami of new students over the summer. Due to the cuts at the LA colleges, my college (Santa Monica) just swam through a deluge of new students over the summer. I have a pretty early enrollment date for every session, but about four days before my appointment rolled around, the classes I wanted immediately filled up. I imagine that crashing the classes I want won't be terribly easy either.