Saturday, May 16, 2009

I Bring You Everything That Floats Into Your Mind...

I spent the day chauffeuring my kids to their activities. This, of course, includes listening to my oldest son's radio station. So, while some youngsters might like Pitbull's "I Know You Want Me," I think I'll hold off one that one for now. (Although Pitbull's hotties might qualify for some "Rule 5" action!).

Instead, please enjoy one of Sheryl Crow's all-time best recordings, "
Anything But Down" (the song begins shortly, after the advertisement):


The song appeared on Crow's 1998 CD, The Globe Sessions.

I remember when I bought the disc. It was a Saturday. I was with my oldest - and at that time only - son. I couldn't remember the name of the song, and I remembered hearing "Anything But Down" only vaguely. But I knew I really liked it. So, I popped in the disc in the changer, and started going down the tunes. My son kept shaking his head no until the it started (the song's #7 on the CD). He doesn't remember, but it's one of those "daddy" moments I'll never forget.

(Side Tech Note: The lyrics to The Globe Sessions were included on video at the CD, and thus were available when played on a PC. This was 11 years ago, and pretty cool at the time ...)

Sheryl Crow has a few other excellent songs ("The First Cut is the Deepest"), but some of her stuff became way too commercial ("Soak Up the Sun"). On balance, though, Crow would be on the top of my list to get a backstage pass to one of her concerts.

More later ...

4 comments:

PrivatePigg said...

The First Cut is the Deepest was done so much better by a number of different groups. I lost interest in Sheryl Crow when she became one of those celebrities that decided she was smarter than everyone else (i.e. one square of toilet paper per bathroom break). I have a hard time listening to music and disassociating the song from the artist.

kreiz1 said...

She's the bomb, Donald. Heard "Soak up the Sun" today, as a matter of fact. Wonderful vocalist; she's also an underrated guitarist. Her style is reminiscent of Keith Richards'.

AmPowerBlog said...

Private: Yes, First Cut is a remake, but she does a good job of it. I liked watching her perform it live, I think at the American Music Awards or Grammys, when it was first released.

As for disassociating the artist from the tunes, I've long ago quit trying. I wouldn't listen to the majority of the bands I've always loved. I wrote about this some time back here at the blog. I think on John Lennon's "Imagine." Pat Houseworth just admits that while he hates the politics, the music just makes the era anyway (he was talking about Creedence Clearwater and Vietnam, where he served).

AmPowerBlog said...

Kreiz:

Some of her stuff's too commercial. I liked the raw, haunting sound of "Anything But Down." She's certainly a beauty, in any case. Always helps make the overall effect. I'd like to meet her.

Thanks man...