Friday, April 24, 2009

Art Posters: The Cotton Pickers, 1876

Via Maggie's Farm, Steve Sailor has posted some cool information on the most popular art posters: "Painters: Scholarly eminence vs. 'Will this go with my couch?' popularity":


The ten top painters who do best among the poster-buying public relative to their more moderate historical prominence (i.e., their influence on subsequent artists) are:

Claude Monet
Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Vincent Van Gogh
Salvador Dali
Camille Pissarro
Edgar Degas
Henri Rousseau
Fra Angelico
Marc Chagall
These are definitely not unimportant figures in the history of art - they're just even more popular now than they were influential then.

Basically, to sell a lot of posters in the 21st Century, you will have wanted to have been in Paris in the late 19th Century.

All of this is even more interesting in my case, as I've been talking (e-mailing) with Rusty Walker about my favorite artists. As I was telling Rusty, I just love Winslow Homer, and especially the painting above, The Cotton Pickers, 1876.

The piece is in
the permanent collection at the Los Angeles County Museum of art. I first say the painting in about 1988, on my first visit to LACMA. Then, a couple of years back when I visited the museum for the temporary exhibit of "Gustav Klimt's 1907 masterpiece 'Adele Bloch-Bauer I'"(see Wikipedia's entry for the painting's image and background drama).

I picked up the poster for it after my second visit to the showing. My other favorite painting at LACMA - and one of the most breathtaking pieces of art I've ever seen upon my first viewing in person - is Julius L. Stewart's, The Baptism, 1892. I post a photo image of the Stewart masterpiece soon.

11 comments:

Tim said...

Wait, Thomas Kinkade is not on your list?! I'm shocked!

AmPowerBlog said...

Tim: I've told you many times you've got class, but you insist on proving it over and over again...

Tim said...

Edit: Tim: I've told you many times you've got no class, but you insist on proving it over and over again...

I think you made a mistake. I have no class...because I no longer go to school. You have class every day of the week.

Thomas Kinkade, Donald, is the "painter of light." And he is loved, and known by your base, more than any of those painters you listed. I think he even supports one of the NASCAR drivers.

I kid, Donald. But you will never get that, so don't try. This is an impressive list. And here I thought you only watched Fox News, the History Channel, Nazi war movies, and read political books and Maxim magazine. We learn something every day.

AmPowerBlog said...

I know Kinkade, Tim. Actually, I think some of his art is cool, but as you can tell, I've actually studied art. My point is that every comment is a put down, even on non-political posts...

Tim said...

Every post is political, Donald.

You have put me down whenever I have attempted to compliment or agree with you. And because you are so gracious and accepting, I've stopped doing that.

You have to earn respect Donald.

AmPowerBlog said...

Nice try, Tim...

If you gave me a compliment I must have missed in in the muck of leftists vitriol.

Anonymous said...

Thomas Kinkade has great technical skills; but man...he's a COMMERCIAL artist. A different specie!

Dave C said...

that painting is racist..

well, maybe...

on some level.

or not.

Rusty Walker said...

I have always loved this painting, too; I painted some watercolors of field workers grape pickers, artichoke pickers down around Monterey in the 1970s. When I traveled to France as a young artist and I was deeply moved by the Gleaners, Jean-François Millet in the Lovuve - I must have stood there in awe for two hours (it may be at the Musée d'Orsay now - www.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gleaners)

rbosque said...

It's a beautiful piece.

Steven Givler said...

Rats. I didn't make the list again. Must I die first? Life is so unfair...