Saturday, June 28, 2008

You'll See My Smile Looks Out of Place...

I felt deeply moved, early last year, during the Grammy Awards, when Smokey Robinson performed "Tracks of My Tears" as part the show's commemoration of R&B music.

I don't know exactly what it was ... Smokey Robinson looked so good, even radiant, and his voice sounded so gentle and sweet. I think watching him not only took me back in time, but I also felt so strongly for him. His performance seemed like a summation of a lifetime's achievement - and it especially seemed like a precious thing to watch and listen: Here he was, still doing his thing, forty-two years after "Tracks of My Tears" reached the top of the charts as
a break-out hit single.

I don't see the 2007 performance available online, but please enjoy a vintage version of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles performing "Tracks of My Tears":

I thought about how I felt the next day, and I recalled David Bowie's lyics in "Young Americans," where he sings, "Ain't there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?"

Well, "Tracks of My Tears" was that "one damn song," at least at that moment.

Have a great night, dear readers.

0 comments: